Life Group Discussion Questions
OPEN IN PRAYER
CONNECT WITH OTHERS
1. What have you not done for fear of pain, injury, or loss?
FOCUS ON THE PASSAGE
2. Read Luke 22:39-46. In this section of Scripture, Jesus is approaching the Father before what major event? What is the cup He prays would pass?
3. How does Jesus begin His prayer to the Father?
ADMIT WHERE YOU ARE
4. Do you have consistent prayer life? Or do your times of prayer revolve only around times of great stress?
5. Jesus approached pain by submitting first to the Father’s will. When making tough decisions, do we approach God and pray for His will or fight with our own will?
INTERPRET THE PASSAGE
6. What is the significance of the image of a cup? Where else in Scripture is a cup used illustrate a facet of God?
7. Jesus asks the cup to be removed but instead is strengthened and encouraged by angels (v. 43). When was another time Jesus was ministered to by the angels?
TAKE THIS PASSAGE INTO YOUR LIFE
8. Luke 22:42bis the desired conclusion of any prayer to God. “Nevertheless, not my will, but yours, be done.” How often have our prayers ended this way?
9. In the face of sorrow the disciples slept while Jesus prayed. Which posture should we take? How can we build in the habits so we can respond as Jesus?
HEAR FROM GOD
10. What in our life needs to be given to God in prayer?
CLOSE IN PRAYER